Posted on Leave a comment

How To Turn A Scarf Into A Coaster

The thing I really love about resin is that you can embed practically anything and end up with some amazing effects!

So, the other day I decided to turn a bit of scarf like this:

Into a set of two coasters:

The effect is brilliant – it looks like there’s a whole heap of mohair in there ūüôā ¬†The picture doesn’t do it justice – honest!

The process is this:

1.  Do a layer of transparent resin to cover the base of the mould (which will be the TOP of the coaster)
2.  Once tacky, snip the scarf into individual strands of wool and layer it over the resin.
3. ¬†Pour a teeny bit of resin on top so that the wool is JUST covered and no more. Have a look at it from underneath (taking care NOT to pour it over your face!) to make sure there’s an even spread.
4.  Once tacky/set, mix up some black resin and fill up the mould to the top.

Posted on Leave a comment

Bangle disaster!

I tried out the bangle mould for resin yesterday with some lovely crushed green glass (formerly a wine bottle!) and couldn’t wait to get it out of the mould this morning! ¬†Unfortunately it TOTALLY wouldn’t budge, so after hubbie had had a go at it as well, I popped it into the freezer. ¬†Normally this works a treat but it STILL wouldn’t budge ūüôĀ ¬†Eventually I tried a bit of squeezing but the fact it was frozen must have made it fragile … so I got it out of the mould, but in four pieces!

Thankfully the great thing about resin is that I should be able to repair it with a bit of extra resin!  Here is it, still broken but laid out as it should look.

I’ve started the repair job, so we’ll see what it looks like in a few days!

Posted on Leave a comment

More driftwood!

Here’s another driftwood project I’ve been working on recently: a windchime for my sister-in-law’s birthday:

This is made out of a piece of driftwood onto which I pyro’d Lizzie’s name and a few butterflies. ¬†My OH used to be a plumber and we had some leftover copper pipe lying in the garden, so I cut it into different lengths, drilled holes at the top and polished them up (steel wool would have been best for this, but I didn’t have any so had to use a scourer which eventually did the trick but took MUCH longer!!). ¬†The pipes are attached to the wood with fishing line which is strong but flexible, so gives good movement. ¬†The copper pipes worked brilliantly and it sounded FANTASTIC!

Posted on Leave a comment

Driftwood Fairy

I’ve been taking part in a Secret Santa through a crafts forum and the recipient of my gift loves fairies so it seemed sensible to make her a gift that was fairy-themed!

My first idea was to take a bit of driftwood and pyro a fairy onto it, then drill a hole to hold a tealight at the top. ¬†Bear in mind this was my very first attempt at pyro (and I hadn’t made the hole for the tealight when I took this, so it’s just sitting awkwardly on top!)

I was reasonably pleased with it but felt it lacked a little something … so I went ahead and made something else instead (more about that in a later post!). ¬†Anyway, my mum suggested that it might be nice with some air plants in the top instead of a tealight holder and I agree! ¬†So, will be getting some air plants at some point to see how that looks.

Posted on Leave a comment

Changing tiles into clocks

I’ve been experimenting with changing white ceramic tiles into clocks by painting cheerful childrens characters onto them, drilling a hole and inserting a clock movement/hands etc.

Still waiting for the clock parts to arrive, but I had a go with leading and glass paints.  It was my FIRST TIME doing leading, so go easy when judging it/me!!

Croc-a-gator Clock (In Progress!)
Croc-a-gator Clock (In Progress!)

Was still wet when I took the picture, so will photograph again when it’s dry and I have the clocks hands etc. in place – hopefully tomorrow!